If you are going to set up a business, hiring a business lawyer sounds a very pragmatic idea. In this field, you will never run out of options. But just because many lawyers have specialization in this particular field of law, it becomes difficult for you to choose someone from a sea of options. As a business lawyer can help you in several ways, you should go with the right legal counsel who will be helpful and at the same time, economically feasible. You should follow a methodical process of choosing the right business lawyer in Warren.
Asses Your Company’s Legal Needs
The type and level of legal expertise required for your business largely depend on the nature and goals of your businesses. For example, if you have a technological company, then a corporate lawyer or firm having specialization in intellectual property licensing and rights will be of great help for your business even if they don’t have commendable skills in other aspects of corporate law.
To define your business’ legal objectives, ask yourself the following questions:
- What kind of legal guidance does my business need (in regards to contractors, taxes, customer warranties, government regulations, employees and so forth) to avoid liability issues in the future?
- What are the short and long-run goals for my business?
- Where are efficiency gaps in the business’ daily operations?
- Should additional capital be raised for the company?
- Does the business require buying or leasing any commercial property?
- Does the company require restructuring its capitalization or existing debt?
- Does the company require acquiring or disposing of any assets?
- Does the company require creating additional subsidiaries or divisions?
- Should I consider selling my company or taking it public?
Having a clear definition of your company’s needs and objectives will help you search for a suitable attorney in a more productive way.
Get a Referral from a Reliable Source
The most effective way to find a good lawyer who fits your needs is to narrow your search. Make it possible by sharing your company’s needs with a practicing or former attorney. You can also approach a trusted friend if the person has enough of experience hiring attorneys. Skill, experience, trustworthiness, and diligence are the most important factors while choosing a lawyer. By getting a referral from a reliable source, you can optimize your chance of finding an attorney who possesses those qualities.
Do Your Own Research
Prepare a list of referrals that you have received from reliable sources. You should now do your own search and research about each of the shortlisted lawyers and law firms. The firm has details about the lawyer’s qualification, area of expertise, experience, and any noteworthy transactions or publications. Law firms and lawyers have a presence on popular social media platforms. You should also check with the state bar association to get additional information.
With each referral, you should go for initial consultation in order to share the full scope of your company’s legal objectives with your prospective lawyer. If possible, conduct the first meeting with your counsel in person. Most attorneys offer legal advice at no charge.